The effect you noticed is probably a side effect from stitching shots
from a long focal length lens.
This image is stitched from 5 shots. What you see is a field of view
from a 100 mm lens and the depth of field from a 320 mm lens. I was
sitting on the ground to reduce camera shake which shows more out of
focus foreground.
Stitching was done in PS CS3 beta which makes the stitching and
blending process very easy.