Bong, the one at Adorama marked "new" ought to be new.

David, if you haven't seen this blog yet, you ought to go over to
strobist.com and check it out.

The entire site is dedicated to using small shoe-mount flash units
off-camera for studio light-like effect. Get some light stands and
umbrellas and have fun! Strobist insists the best way to do it is with
PocketWizard radio triggers, but at $300 each pocketwizards are
pricey. What I've done along this vein so far has been with one flash
on a PC cord and the other one using a Wein sync peanut.

On 2/25/07, Bong Manayon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Btw, where do I find the "new" 285? Adorama list one as a new item, do
> I assume that's "new" or just new "old" stock? :-\
>
> On 2/24/07, Nick Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > For you (other) manual camera fans who might not have seen this yet, I
> > thought I'd mention that Vivitar has reintroduced their 285HV flash
> > units. They are selling brand new for just under $100 currently. And
> > they have trigger voltages of less than 6 volts, which means they are
> > safe to use on modern cameras too! Just got mine in the mail the other
> > day. In fact, I was so fed up with Canon's crazy ETTL I sold my $300
> > Canon unit the day I heard the 285s were back!
> >
> > And to put a vaguely Pentax spin on this post ... I'm curious if
> > Pentax's PTTL system is any good? A quick scan through the archives
> > found at least one person who wasn't so thrilled. I'd like to hear
> > more. Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > ~Nick Wright
> > http://blog.phojonick.com/