Godfrey, I do enjoy our conversation about this lens. I've just clicked
on some button (I am still quite a kludge in LR 1.0 that I downloaded
for a trial) and the statistics of which lenses I used how many times
showed.

So, for roughly 9,000 images I shot with *istD and K10D the distribution
is as follows:

77 lim - 1079
43 lim - 607
31 lim - 579
Tamron 28-75/2.8 - 791

I am fascinated, 'cause I never thought of my shooting habits in these
terms...

Anyway, it appears that limited lenses get their limited use ;-).

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> Here's a rather extreme demonstration of flare with the FA31:
>
>    http://homepage.mac.com/godders/FA31-flare.jpg

Extreme indeed.

> A good lens hood would likely eliminate it for the DSLR, if you could
> fit a good lens hood with that fixed hood. Grr.

I totally agree.

> For me, the 43 Limited is going to replace the 35/2 and 50/1.4 ... it
> slots in between the 28 and 70 perfectly. The kit I've assembled  now
> is very complete, for my purposes: DA14, DA21, FA28, FA43, DA70 and
> the DA50-200. All (except the 14) very compact and light, just the
> right FoV coverage, very high image quality throughout. The graph of
> FoV vs FL is pretty nice:
>
>    http://homepage.mac.com/godders/FoVs-Pentax-DSLR.jpg

This is what 43 limited did to me. I sold 35/2.8 and basically
deprecated 50/1.7. It is there mostly because of sentimental value.
After all, FA 50/1.7 was my first prime lens that taught me great many
things about photography.

> I still use the FA20-35 too ... it's such a good wide-normal zoom for
> when I want to carry just one lens.

For me it is Tamron 28-75/2.8. But I hear what you're saying ;-).

Boris