Couldn't hurt.

What I am intending to do at this point is direct stereo. (1) I want to
record nature sound like the wind in the trees and water. But not bird
calls, insect sounds, and technical stuff like that. (2) Live acoustic
music ensembles. (3) Possibly, if I can get an in, some interviews for
the local radio stations. (4) Narration of children's books. (5)Who
knows where things might lead.

All pretty much as a hobbyist, so I will not be able to afford the best
stuff, but my research seems to show that mics need to be in the $100
range here in the US to be at all decent. I remember the old direct
stereo (2 mics) recordings as sounding better than the current mixed
stuff, maybe just a case of reminiscence making it seem so, but I want
to give it a try.

-graywolf