Thanks, Pete.  I struggled with the composition quite a bit.  I wanted
to keep the stem where it is, and using a standard format (8x10 in
this case) meant that the leaf was centered.  The correct way for me
to fix this would be to go back to the camera and try it again.  BTW,
my wife agrees with you.

On 2/25/07, P. J. Alling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Nice rendering, but it's a little too centered in the frame for me.
> Maybe crop about 1/6th of the frame off the top.
>
> Scott Loveless wrote:
> > I've always been inspired by Paul Caponigro's still life work.  Last
> > month's issue of LensWork featured a photographer by the name of Guy
> > Gagnon, a French Canadian living in Belgium.  His photographs are
> > black and white renderings of dried plants against a black velvet
> > background.  Since it's snowing outside and I didn't really feel like
> > getting out, I draped a black sweatshirt over a dining chair, parked
> > it next to the window, and took a few frames of this leaf that
> > recently fell off one of my wife's plants.
> >
> > http://picasaweb.google.com/sdloveless/PDMLPESO/photo#5035527265195980162
> >
> > I shot this with the K100D and 18-55 kit lens at 45mm, f11, 0.3
> > seconds, -1.5EV, ISO 200, and then tinkered around with it a bit in
> > Picasa.  I think it needs more depth of field.  I think I need a
> > better understanding of black and white conversion.  I know I'm going
> > to want that 35mm Macro Limited.
> >
> > Comments and critiques most welcome.  Thanks for looking.
> >

> --
> Entropy Seminar: The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekend lw uf
> thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.

Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com
Shoot more film!