Well, the speed of the disk IO operations does make a difference.
Most of the SATA drives are faster than the ATA-100 drives. However,
whether SATA would net any speed increase in your particular system
configuration I couldn't say.

(I have two 500G SATA internal drives in the Power Mac G5 already ...
one is configured as the startup and main working drive, the other
serves duty for quick backup and Photoshop scratch space. I can see
the difference in performance when I'm working on very large files
between the scratch being on an SATA internal drive vs being on a
FireWire 800 connected external drive.)

My comment presumed that you already had adequate disk space on a
fast drive. For the startup drive, I offload data to a secondary
drive whenever free space drops below about 30-40%. I find that too
little free disk space, for today's modern disk-based OS systems
(UNIX, Linux, Windows XP and Mac OS X are all full-time VM
systems ...) and slow drives have a huge effect on overall system
performance.

Godfrey