From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
John Whittingham
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 4:07 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: RE: Alternative to the DA50-200/4-5.6 ? - Try the SMCK 45-125/4

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 12:35:32 -0500, J. C. O'Connell wrote
> I guess you and I just have totally different priorities. I
> dont use the 200-300mm (FF equiv)/(135-200 APS) range on zooms
> hardly at all (its a speciality, rather than general purpose, range
based
> on actual needs for me, and when I go that long, I generally prefer
> primes ).
> In the more common 28-200(FF)/18-135(APS) range, I would much rather
> have a FASTER
> constant aperture zoom lens/lenses (especially for MANUAL exposure
> which I prefer for most situations, even on digital at this point
> due to exposure latitude problems) , and especially for manual
focussing
> which I still prefer on ANY camera in most situations. I really
> HATE variable aperture zooms, because Manual exposure with them, both
> ambient and flash is nearly impossible to get consistant
> results in terms of exposure as you zoom in and out when the
> f-stop variation is one stop or more from end to end and it often
> is.
> JCO

Hi John,

Yes seems that way, I often use manual exposure and manual focusing, but
more
often aperture priority and AF. With the more modern cameras I find
variable
aperture zooms less of a problem than with say my MX. The K10D is even
more
convenient as I can set desired f-stop and shutter speed and let the
camera
choose the sensitivity, hey no changing film emulsions.

For the size and weight of the 45-125 I would replace it with the FA
80-320
on digital, giving me a 480mm f/5.6 equivalent at the long end,
sometimes
600mm is inadequate for my needs depending on subject.

As regards a lightweight kit, I'm not really concerned about the number
of
lenses as long as they fit into a Lowepro Nova 3 bag. I had several
combinations for the MZ-3 one of which was: 24/2.8, FA 28-105 and
FA80-320,
I'm still not decided on the wide end for digital.

If I need anything lighter, it's a holster case, one lens on camera and
some
creativity/imagination 8)

Regards,

John

----------------------------

The information transmitted is intended only for the person to whom it
is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If
you have received an email in error please notify Carmel College on
[EMAIL PROTECTED] then delete all copies of it from your systems.

Although Carmel College scans incoming and outgoing emails and email
attachments for viruses we cannot guarantee a communication to be free
of all viruses nor accept any responsibility for viruses.

Although Carmel College monitors incoming and outgoing emails for
inappropriate content, the college cannot be held responsible for the
views or expressions of the author. The views expressed may not
necessarily be those of Carmel College and Carmel College cannot be held
responsible for any loss or injury resulting from the contents of a
message.