It took a while, but I finally got some acceptable snow crystal shots
this season.

Here are a few:

http://www.markcassino.com/galleries/stream/2007/070303/IMGP0640.htm
http://www.markcassino.com/galleries/stream/2007/070303/IMGP0646.htm
http://www.markcassino.com/galleries/stream/2007/070303/IMGP0668.htm
http://www.markcassino.com/galleries/stream/2007/070303/IMGP0662cr.htm

I'm not a big fan of the perfect, paper cut out, absolutely symmetric
snow crystal. For me, these ragged / run through the mill subjects are
what it's all about.

It's interesting - I had shifted over to using a Sigma 50mm EX f2.8
macro lens for snow crystals last winter. Before that I used either an M
50 f4 macro or M 50 f 1.7 standard lens. (Lenses are reverse mounted on
gobs of extension.)

Anyhow - I wanted some new snowflake shots for the Pentax Gallery so I
pulled out the M50 f4 and used it on Saturday. Independent of that, I
finally remembered how to get the lighting right (it seems to take
longer every year...) I have to say - that old relic of a macro lens
really kicks. It _is_ slow and dim with all the extension, but it still
really produces the best images. I stopped using it because the aperture
was slow in the cold - not stuck, but slow. So I have to tap the
aperture arm on it to get it to fully stop down. I'll definitely be
getting it fixed.

The rest of Saturday's shot's (and the more recent other shots from this
season) are here:

http://www.markcassino.com/galleries/stream/stream05.htm

Commentary is here:

http://www.markcassino.com/b2evolution/index.php