Nick Wright wrote:
> I like my Bogen. Forget what model number it is, but it cost just
> under $50 new.

As I recall, the 3018/3218/whatever-it-is that I have was between US$
100 and 150, at least four or five years ago.

> But then, I owned a "Velbon" (probably very comparable to the Slik
> quality wise) ...

Geez, I hope it's better than my experiences with Velbon.  I have a
DF-60 tripod (three section legs plus center post).  It has a "built in"
QR system from the factory.  Tilt-pan head.  The head's receiver and the
QR plates are both plastic, and lots of slop [Sidebar: It appears to be
some sort of short-fiber-filled thermoplastic].  I also have a really
hard time getting the legs tight enough to be stable.  It is probably
destined to be cut up and used as braces for the air dam on our RX-7
race car.

> Keep in mind that the biggest lens I used on it was my Pentax FA*
> 300/4.5. I wouldn't have trusted it with a bigger lens.

I believe the FA* version and the F* version are dimensionally virtually
identical, excepting the tripod "foot" on the F* version.  Assuming
that's the case, that's a really light long lens (I have the F* version,
specifically for the tripod foot).

The FA* 200/2.8 is (seems to be ?) much heavier than the F* 300/4.5, and
it's certainly bigger, especially with the hood deployed.  The Sigma APO
400/5.6 Macro PK-AF is /significantly/ heavier than the F* 300/4.5 ...
at least twice as heavy, I'd guess.

And the 'pod and medium ball head (Bogen 3262, I think) handle it with
aplomb.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)