I use this scanner too, have had no problems (concerning sharpness) with
mine. I don't understand why making the image smaller would reduce
sharpness, it should increase it (at least apparently). What method/porgram
do you use for your image editing. You can see a photo I just scanned last
night on this scanner at <www.wrightfoto.com>.

Nick