From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Christian
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:14 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Macro Lenses

J. C. O'Connell wrote:
> I have used macros from 50mm to 180mm on 35mm format,
> (33mm to 120 on APS equiv.) and I find that its good
> to have multiple focal lengths just like normal photography, but just
> like normal photography, if you only have one lens, you dont want only

> the long end of the scale and a 90-105mm on APS is the long end of the

> scale.

It all depends on your subject and how much magnification you want.
Case: I like shooting bugs at 1:1.  50mm 1:2 macro is not gonna get me
there and the working distance is WAY to short.  Therefore as my only
macro lens, a ~100mm 1:1 lens makes sense because of the greater working

distance.  Even a 150-180-200mm 1:1 would be good for the extra working
distance.  Bugs fly away, 50mm lenses don't have enough working
distance.

> 50mm on APS is
> nearly IDEAL single macro lens (75mm 35mm format equiv which was never

> or rarely made). To each his own, but if 50-60 and 90-105mm were so
> popular for MACRO in 35mm format, then 33.3mm and 60-70mm is what
> would be equiv on APS and a 50mm lens like the 50mm SMC-A F2.8
> puts you firmly in that popular range, leaning towards the
> longer end, whilst a 90-105mm lens puts you way out there
> at 135-150mm equiv which is too long imho for a general purpose,
> one lens Macro lens kit. I would recommend a 50mm to start with and
> go with a longer lens only as a two lens macro kit, and if you
> go with three lenses, find a 35mm macro lens if you can.

your "general" one lens macro kit is "general" for what?  Flowers?  ok
fine 50mm is great.  But my "general" one lens macro kit is for bugs so
100mm is what I need.  All I'm saying is that primary subject matter is
more important in selecting the lens than your criteria about APS vs
35mm frame sizes.

--

Christian
http://photography.skofteland.net