Welll I got software with the Canon through which I load the pics -
don't have a card reader, actually

I did need it on my old dell -- maybe I don't  need it  on the XP  and
with Elements 5.0

but it includes a raw viewer and converter - although now I'm using the
raw converter in elements 5.0

Of course I'll accept any help I can get  just to get it done quickly....

I almost never use drag and drop  -  I list the stuff on the card,
highlight the frames I want, go into
the download window of the canon zoom browser and make a directory and a
file prefix.
after they are on the computer I open selections in elements.

 and that reminds me -- I need to bring my mini-mouse with me if I have
to use a laptop.

 Of course in my wildest dreams I hope someone has a pc :)

BUt be it mac or pc, dealing with a laptop thingy that is supposed to be
a mouse is stress city -
I can't control it... my hands just don't work that way.

ann the ludite