Sounds like your "sling style" Crumpler bag is almost identical to my
Timbuk2 Commute XL.

It works well, but I'd like a little more opening at the top and a
little more dedicated compartmentalization for the camera gear. I'm
almost to the point of designing and building my own...

ON the other hand, this Crumpler "Brazilian Dollar Home" looks great:
   <http://www.crumplerbags.com/Cart/index.php?catId=22>
but pricey!