On Mar 14, 2007, at 8:42 PM, ann sanfedele wrote:

> but but is there a industry buzz word  for the stuff I type in myself
>  when I save
> a file regardless of the type I save it as, that can be read when
> you view
> a photo in photoshop and is recognized as a caption by places like my
> smugmug.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/glossary/f/metadata.htm
---
IPTC is the standard developed in the 1970's by the International
Press Telecommunications Council. It was initially developed as a
standard for exchanging information between news organizations and
has evolved over time. Around 1994, Adobe Photoshop's "File Info"
form enabled users to insert and edit IPTC metadata in digital image
files and so it was adopted by stock photo agencies, and other
publishing businesses outside of the news media.
---

IPTC data is appended to the files in a manner similar to EXIF
information but is independent of it. XMP encapsulates both kinds of
data, and more (like RAW conversion parameters and editing history...).

> Ah - now I just opened that area in elements 5.0 and ca-chung!
> down at the bottom it says "powered by XMP"   never noticed
> that before.

Godfrey