> From:
> graywolf
>
> Even the ones that aren't there anymore. I assume you mean the DeLorme
> map book. Back before I became too poor to buy gasoline I was a
> serious back-roader, and could not pass up a road to nowhere.
>
> BTW, Mortimer NC is a nice place to visit. I could not believe a
> two-digit highway actually turned to dirt on the way.
>
> -graywolf

It's not the DeLorme book.

The book I have has copies of the county maps made by the NC DOT. The
counties are in alphabetical order, just plain black & white with a blue
overprint of symbols for state parks, county seats etc.

     http://www.ncdot.org/it/gis/DataDistribution/CountyMapTIFs/

It's these DOT GIS maps in book form with a paragraph blurb about each
county & some other graphics (drawings of small wildlife ...) thrown in.
Book is about 13" x 19". The NC DOT offers a version of this book with
the full size maps, but it's about $160. I think that one sells to civil
engineers & surveyors who can write it off as a business expense.

UNC Library has a copy in their North Carolina Collection under "One
Hundred Or So Good North Carolina Reference Sources" - the number is the
UNC Library call number.

FCR912 P97 1989
Puetz, C. J. /North Carolina County Maps./ Lyndon Station, Wisconsin:
County Maps, 1996.
Includes all one hundred county maps with a brief history of each county
and quick facts on the state. Includes identification of major roads and
landmarks. Large format makes for an ease of use.

Went out to the car and got the book ... on the contents page it says:

"COUNTY MAPS is a unit of THOMAS PUBLICATIONS, LTD.
Puetz Place, Lyndon Station, WI 53944"

"County Map Books, similar in size and containing all county maps are
available for the states of: Arkansas, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky,
Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia,
and Wisconsin. For copies of any of our publications address:
COUNTY MAPS - Puetz Place - Lyndon Station, WI 53944 - 608-666-3331"

I see them for sale every once in a while in major bookstore chains
around here, and I believe some camping supply stores will have them. I
know a couple of the REI stores here in the triangle area carry them.

WaldenBooks/Borders Books/Amazon.com has a used one on offer.

      http://tinyurl.com/338vkn

I'm on my third copy, having literally worn out two previous editions. I
originally got it as an aid in navigating eastern NC because the main
highways were often not the most efficient route from one small town to
another.

While the maps are out of date, because they don't show a number of
changes, particularly new 4-lanes on US 64 east of Tarboro, NC and US
421 northwest of Wilkesboro, the numbered county roads hardly change at
all, other than some dirt roads shown are now paved roads.