graywolf wrote:
> Well for want of an "A".
>
> I have not been into dogs for a long while. But at one time, if it is
> not now, schultzhund certification was part of the US (AKC) breed
> standard. Obviously you could breed them, you just could not register
> puppies with the AKC if the sire and/or dam were without it.
>
> Of course there are a couple of other kennel clubs in the US.
>
> Wendy actually breeds the dogs, so folks should know how to weigh our
> opinions. Nice to see you posting again, Wendy.
>
> -graywolf

I was really into dogs 15 or so years ago and more or less just keep a
casual interest these days.  I've never seen an AKC breed standard
require any level of training for a dog to be registered.  As a matter
of fact, as long as the parents were registered, any puppies, no matter
how bad they measure to the standard, could be registered and later bred
and their offspring registered, etc. etc.  Now, if you show them, you
won't win anything with a dog that does not conform to the top of the
standard and you'll have issues breeding or selling puppies down the
road to people who "know" or are into that particular breed.  That
doesn't stop "backyard breeders" and puppy mills from churning out
genetic mutants, of course...

AKC breed standard for a Belgian Tervuren:
http://www.akc.org/breeds/belgian_tervuren/index.cfm

--

Christian
http://photography.skofteland.net