On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 11:30:08AM -0800, Shel Belinkoff wrote:
> There are times that I have wished for a larger format than 35mm and even
> the formats on 120/220 film.  For whatever reason - and the reasons varied
> at different times - I could not see getting and using a large format
> camera, even a small large format camera, like a 4x5. With the possible
> coming of the 645D (or is it the D645?) I'm wondering about how great a
> quality boost one could get over a K10D.  Might it get reasonably close to
> 4x5, assuming the Pentax implements the technology well? How about 6x9  If
> the 645D won't approach these quality levels, what sort of pixel count and
> sensor size - again assuming good implementation of the technology - might?

There's no simple answer to that question.

The first thing to do is to establish the baselevels; how well do
you think the K10D and/or the earlier 6MP cameras serve as replacements
for 35mm cameras? How about as replacements for 645 or 6x7 cameras?

I believe the sensor in the 645D is a 31MP sensor with a 1.2x crop factor
compared to a film 645.  That means the sensor sites are pretty close to
the same size as those in the 6MP sensors used in the *ist D series, so
I would expect the noise levels to be at least as good as those earlier
cameras (even assuming no technology-driven improvements).

As a rough-and-ready approximation I'd expect the 645D would serve as
well, viewed as an alternative to a 4x5 large-format camera, as the
*ist-DS would serve as an alternative to a 6x7(cm) medium format.
Whether or not that is sufficient for your needs really depends on
just what you are looking for.