Thanks for all the responses.

With respect to the difference between K and A (and later) lenses,
linear diaphragm actuator, etc,  I think description on the KMP
(Boz Dimitrov's) page is simple and clear:
http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/technology/K-mount/Ka.html
My question was about a different thing.

Godfrey and Walt:
I was thinking this way: since it is possible
to do exposure variation in 1/2 or 1/3 EV steps (especially in Tv),
the camera should be able to relay this into the aperture steps.

I am glad to hear that it is the case (as seen in the metadata),
as in principle, it does not have to be the case: even though ISO
numbers are defined in 1/3-stop increments, I suspect, in the TAv mode
on k10D, the ISO cannot be changed in 1/3 EV steps, can it?
(and 1/2 EV steps are out of the question as well).

On another hand, if indeed, the aperture can be varied in 1/2 and 1/3
f-stops (EV steps), this means that either the camera is capable of
handling at least aperture steps equivalent to 1/6 EV  (to be able to
do 1/2 and 1/3 variation from any aperture setting), or it may be
able to do 1/2 or 1/3 _variations_ from any 1/2 or 1/3 EV step,
but not being able to address some of those settings directly
(i.e. you cannot set f/4 + 1/6 EV, unless you are in 3-shot variation
shutter mode).

It is, however, possible, that the camera is approximating to the
setting that is nearest to 1/2 EV or 1/3EV away from the current.

This article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number#Fractional_stops
claims that Canon DSLRs use 1/8-stop increments and does the
approximation for the 1/3 and 1/2 EV steps.

Sorry for going into deep technical details. I am just curious how
things work.

Igor