> From:
> "Markus Maurer"
> I'm sorry for you Peter but wonder what kind of insurance would cover such
> an accident.
> At least here in Switzerland there exists no insurance for that since it was
> your own camera equipment and no third party was involved.
> Greetings
> Markus

In the US the camera equipment would be considered "personal property"
and would be covered by "homeowner's" insurance. Unless it was in your
car when it was lost/damaged, in which case your automotive insurance.

Just how much insurance coverage you might have, and whether it covered
the property when you took it away from home depends on the policy.

Additionally, some credit cards advertise they offer insurance for
property bought using those cards.

Was it American Express or Visa that ran the TV ads where the kid puts a
peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the new VCR?