Paul wrote:

>Hmmm, that makes me wonder if the SMC Tak
>85/1.8 and the K 85/1.8 are, in fact, optically
>identical. Perhaps there's must more of a front
>element retainer ring on the earlier lens.

I think they're the same. Pentax standardized lens accessory
threads to 49mm, 58mm, etc. in the later screwmount years. The
SMC Tak 85/1.8 may have required more than 49mm, hence the 58mm
filter size. When the K mount came out, the body mount was of a
larger diameter than the screwmount lenses, and a
correspondingly larger 52mm filter thread was adopted as minimum
size. This apparently was large enough for the K 85/1.8. The
49mm filter was adopted once again (alongside 52mm where needed)
with the introduction of the M series lenses.

Mark Rofini