From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Jim King
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 12:30 PM
To: pdml@pdml.net
Subject: RE: PESO:Tamron SP70-150mm 2.8 on the K10D 3 test shots

Markus Maurer wrote on Sat, 31 Mar 2007 02:02:55 -0800:

> Hi Jim
> Are you looking for the soft focus feature or just for a fast
> Tamron SP
> zoom?

I collect Tamron SP Adaptall-2 lenses and already have most of the
zooms.  I'm quite interested in this specific lens, partly because of
its reputation as a very sharp fast conventional optic and also
because I'd like to experiment with the progressive variable
softening feature (I already have all of the Pentax soft focus
lenses).  Unfortunately I've never seen one for sale - either it was
rare to begin with or those who own one like it too much to sell
it!  ;<)

> The soft focus ring settings 1-3 are nice for full portrait shots
> or flower
> close-ups with uniform backgrounds. If the background is too busy
> the bokeh
> with the soft focus ring engaged is harsh and unpleasant . I will
> have to
> experiment a bit with that feature on the K10D, I last used it on
> film and
> only liked about 1 out of 10 soft focus shots :-(

Thanks for this info.  It's consistent with my results using the
Pentax soft focus lenses as well.  But there are certain images where
the spherical aberration (I think that's what it is) of a soft focus
lens adds just the right dreamy/foggy look.

> The slower non SP 70-150mm 3.5 Tamron is very inexpensive here but
> I can't
> say anything about it's quality and if it is similar to the SP one.

The reports on the regular version are not as good, and of course
it's slower.

> The same is true for the SP 70-210 3.5/4 zoom lens. Again a heavy
> but well
> built lens.

Yes, I already have this one, as well as the even more highly
regarded SP 70-210 f3.5 constant aperture version which I recently
found on eBay.  The latter is said to be the best MF zoom ever made
in this range.  I'm looking forward to comparing it with my Pentax A
70-210 f4 when I get the time.

It's amazing how inexpensive most of these lenses are - it seems that
nobody is interested in MF zooms any more.  Ah well - the joys of
collecting are even greater when the cost is reasonable.

Regards, Jim