Fra: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] vegne af Bruce
Dayton
Sendt: 3. april 2007 06:37
Til: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Emne: Re: GOSE: My first soccer game

Thanks for sharing the information.  Hopefully you are aware that the
focus point selection is independent of AF-S or AF-C.  You can choose
a single AF point and then use AF-C.  Or maybe you were having
problems with needing different points rapidly and couldn't switch
them fast enough and the All points missed too many times?

I don't shoot soccer so much - and if I do, it is younger kids up to
teens.  I have tended to use a medium/long zoom and just miss the
really close shots or go for a less than full body.  Sometimes just a
tight shot can be pretty cool.  Certainly one problem is that the
other side of the field could use about a 300 or so and the near side
could use about a 35.  Big range.

I look forward to your next shoot.

--
Best regards,
Bruce

Sunday, April 1, 2007, 11:27:25 PM, you wrote:

JB> Hello Bruce - thanks for noticing and answering..
JB> You have got a very good point about hte DOF, Bruce.
JB> I guess, I was not comfident enough, that I could focus correctly
enought to
JB> go down to F.3.5-4.5.
JB> I shot all shots at F. 5.6 - F8. Basically I used Tv and chose 1/1250 or
JB> 1/1000 sec's.
JB> I used AF most of the time (mostly not fast enough).  I tried AF-C, but
that
JB> didin't work - too many optional focus points - the camera kept focusing
at
JB> the background (the sponsor add).

JB> Manual foucs didn'¨t work either - the movemnets of the players was too
JB> unpredictable. (Or I am out of prctice).
JB> So, I finally settled for AF-S.
JB> Naturally I used my true everyday servant - my monopod!

JB> I had problems with lenses - I had to change between 28-70mm, and
80-200mm
JB> frequently.
JB> I did notice that the pro's at the site usded two cameras, for that very
JB> same reason.

JB> I guess that the best focal length for a soccer game would be something
like
JB> 35-150mm or even 28-180mm. It seems to me Pentax is missing a lens in
this
JB> range. The DA 50-200mm gets close, though. But for indoor ball games
this
JB> would be too slow.

JB> Sigma males a 50-150mm F. 2.8. Tokina makes a  50-135mm F. 2.8 - both of
JB> which wouls be just about suitable for such work. I gues my
F1:4/45-125mm
JB> would be fine great if it  had AF! I guess it's long focusing turns will
be
JB> a problem, if used with MF.

JB> I'm going to shoot annother soccer game on thursday. I guess I'll be
JB> bringing the 45-125mm AND two cameras - just in case :-)

JB> Which lens do you guys use for ball games?

JB> Jens Bladt

JB> http://www.jensbladt.dk
JB> +45 56 63 77 11
JB> +45 23 43 85 77
JB> Skype: jensbladt248

Bruce
JB> Dayton
JB> Sendt: 2. april 2007 02:20
JB> Til: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
JB> Emne: Re: GOSE: My first soccer game

JB> Hello Jens,

JB> Good shots of the action.  You managed to catch some pretty good
JB> moments.  The only thing that stood out to me a bit was that the DOF
JB> was quite wide.  For some shots, that worked pretty well, but for
JB> some, it seemed that there was a lot of background competing for my
JB> attention.

JB> I would be very interested if you would go in to some detail on how
JB> you shot this - camera, lens, techniques (metering, AF, etc).  For
JB> being out of practice, you done well.

JB> --
JB> Bruce

JB> Sunday, April 1, 2007, 3:47:34 PM, you wrote:

JB>> My home town is going to build a new football stadium.
JB>> So, the planning department (that's where I work) wants photographs
from
JB> the
JB>> old one - for a public meeting on the subject.
JB>> I haven't photographed a real soccer game since the early 1980'ies -
JB> before
JB>> Auto Focus was common.
JB>> I was surprised how difficult it was :-)
JB>> Hopefully I'll do a little better next time...
JB>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/bladt/sets/72157600041128273/show/

JB>> Regards
JB>> Jens Bladt

JB>> http://www.jensbladt.dk