Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

>On Apr 2, 2007, at 4:55 PM, Rick Womer wrote:
>

>>Another from our recent trip to New York City.  This
>>is a nocturnal shot through the window of a
>>vitamin-supplement shop in the Upper West Side.  It
>>amazes me how much merchandise they cram into a small
>>space in that neighborhood.
>>
>>  http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5801682
>>

>>ist D, DA 16-45, ISO 400, RAW, 1/60 @ f/4.5, cropping
>>and minor adjustments in ACR and PE4.
>>
>>If there are no comments I'll start sulking again...
>>

>Rick,
>
>Can't have a man sulk...
>
>The issue with this photo, to me, is that you describe the store as a
>jumble and present a photo that is also pretty much a jumble.
>Unfortunately, that doesn't do justice to the portrayal of the
>store's crowded spaces as too much of my attention is drawn upwards
>to the large open space of the ceiling and lights, which *isn't* a
>jumble, while the rest tends to fall down into murky and poorly
>separated shadows below, which I can't really see well enough to call
>one thing or another other than a mess...
>
>The balance of light and shadow here is 'as caught' which isn't the
>best way to render the scene. Simply toning down the lights and
>bringing up the values in the lower foreground enhances the sense of
>space, the sense of a 'store crammed full of stuff', rather than just
>presenting a jumble under a brightly lit ceiling. Contrast this edit
>with your original:
>
>   http://homepage.mac.com/godders/5801682-lg-g.jpg
>
>By rebalancing the relationship of light from top to bottom, it
>refocuses our eyes to notice the important things ... all the
>merchandise and the area of 'business' in the store, and not give up
>looking at the ceiling and the dark jumble of bits below it.

RIck - what he said :)
AND did - to bring the file up to what you saw...

Of course, living in NY and seeing a title of "crowded shop" I expected
to see lots more people ;)
Think Crocodile Dundeed saying... "You call that a crowd?  This is.... "

And ff course, since I hate crowds, I don't have a photo of one to make
the punch line work.

ann