First of all, thanks to Shel for starting this thread, and thanks to
everyone who's replied so far... and to everyone who is going to reply
before it's over ;-)

This is actually valuable real-world information that I'm going to be
able to use in my web design class. The PDML, which comprises mainly
photographers with an above-average equipment list, probably isn't
representative of the Internet as a whole, but I expect it could be a
good "upper average" benchmark to work with.

Incidentally, one thing I've noticed from the results in general so far
that *is* trypical of web users in general is that people *hate*
horizontal scrolling.

For those interested in more general information:
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/screen_resolution.html