Hi Rob.

Long time no chat.

http://tinyurl.com/yqmc5z <-- you (it is you, right?) look very much
like Connor McLeod here ;-).

As for your obs about K10D... I never managed to produce leveled images
handheld consistently - neither with *istD nor with K10D. Having bought
a monopod improved things some. However when I do align the lines in the
viewfinder with focus bracket marks and when I manage to keep it this
way throughout the exposure ;-) - it comes out all right.

My preferred mode of operation is very similar to yours:
P-mode (I just love hyper program two wheeled operation) with Auto ISO
set to 100-400... It seems to work properly for me. In fact, my
observation is that it would raise the ISO only at the last resort.

I tried using this mighty WB thingie and it worked some. However,
obviously my camera's screen does not display WB precisely - there is
some magenta shift. Since it is impossible to change color temperature
of in-camera LCD screen (most probably would be or already is
implemented in some Canon monster ;-) ) I don't bother with it any more.

You see, generally as a ballpark auto WB works for me. Then (having
finally shelled out cash for Adobe LightRoom) I can adjust it in post
processing. Although auto WB of my K10D is much more to the point than
that of *istD.

Finally, thanks to certain folks here, I did buy the Adobe LightRoom and
I love it immensely. Just yesterday I sat down and processed two dozen
images in less than an hour. It does amaze me how fluent and user
oriented is its whole concept.

Cheers!

Boris