-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Peifer, William
[OCDUS]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 11:57 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: what is a "shift" lens?

Mick Maguire wrote:
> I'm intrigued...

> Regards,
> /\/\ick...

Hi Mick,

Oh boy, get your wallet out.  (And don't ship this one by UPS -- har!!)  A
shift lens is an expensive optic that allows you to move the optic axis of
the lens so that it intersects the film plane off-center and/or at some
angle other than 90 degrees.  Very nice for architectural shots, or anything
else where you need perspective control -- i.e., to make sure that the
parallel lines of the very large object show up as parallel lines in the
image on your film.  KEH has an SMC 28/3.5 shift lens, in bargain condition,
for "only" $645.

Bill Peifer
Rochester, NY