Just recieved my 645D today and thought I woud share my first impressions.
I went for the 22mp version as the 39mp version was both a little more than
I need, and a lot more than I could afford. However, with the savings I made
on the lesser body, I was able to splash out a few extra dollars for the new
70-200mm f2.8 lens, with the stock lens being the 80mm f2.8.

The first thing I noticed when I picked it up was the wieght, or rather, the
lack
of it. It weighs in about 500g heavier than my old *istD, making it easy for
carrying about for some time.

Armed with this bad boy I took a little trip to the local church where a wedding
was in progress to check its low light and high ISO performance. I must say I
was
not dissappointed, the fast autofocus made quick shooting simple and at ISO
6400 the low noise on the images is amazing, it is far superior to the K10D at
ISO 400. Even in the low light, the combination of fast autofocus and
anti-shake
proved a winner.

I was only inside a few moments when the ceremony ended and we all moved
outside where I was able to shoot off a number of images at ISO 50 in the
sunlight.
Once again the snappy auto focus secured a number of images, but sadly at only
2.8 frames per second this would not be a sports photographers best tool
although
with shutter speeds up to 1/10,000 you could stop a bullet. The shutter speed
can
also be optionally set to go as low as ISO 25.

I found the dials easy to use and the new 'intuitive' menu system not too
intuitive
but the basic functions are simple enough to access and only when I wanted to
fine tune things did I need to consult the manual.

Access to the various internals (batteries and storage card) is quite simple
and have
a second lithium battery for it. I have yet to purchase the power cable which
would be
great for those in a studio environment. I chose to use the CF card option over
the SD
as I find the SD cards too fidgety. I do like the idea of being able to plug
the camera
directly into a computer and have the images stored directly on to the hard
drive, but
have not explored that option yet.

I also had a few of my older 645 lenses about and took a few shots with the 50mm
macro and the resulting images are just amazing, Anybody buying this camera will
never use 35mm again.

My favourite feature though is the ability to change the degree of the spot
metering
allowing me to choose the area I wish to meter on.

The only down side I could find was that all of this, took place in my
imagination.

Patiently waiting
Kevin

[EMAIL PROTECTED]