On Apr 18, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Ralf R. Radermacher wrote:

>> I will be comparing the Nikon Coolscan IV (LS-40, 2900ppi) resolution
>> against the V700's today. The Epson's resolution is a bit perplexing
>> to evaluate from their spec sheet:
>
> I have a V700 and the first model Minolta 5400. The Epson is by far
> the
> best flatbed I've ever owned (after a Duoscan T1200, an Epson 1640, a
> 2450 and a 3200) or tried (as in: ordered and returned for lack of an
> improvement over the 3200 that would justify the expense, i.e. the
> Epson
> 4870, 4990 and Canon 9900). Still, with 35 mm the Minolta runs circles
> around it resolution-wise.
>
> So, I use the 5400 for 35 mm and the V700 for everything above from
> 24 x
> 58 mm (Horizon) to 6 x 17 cm.

Sounds about right to me. :-)

It will be interesting to see how the LS-40 stacks up against the
V700. Might be a dead heat on resolution. Primary advantage to the
LS-40 may well be film handling ... it's much harder to keep the
flatbed scanner's glass clean and keep dust off the negatives with
the flatbed's film holders.

> BTW, the Epson really shines with Vuescan and multi-exposure set to 8.

What scanning resolution do you use? The P645 shot I posted was set
to 3200 ppi making a 37 Mpixel image file ... !

Godfrey