David J Brooks wrote:
> Hi gang.
>
> --Setting SR with an A lens. Do you use the actual or the 1.5 FL. I
> used the A 28 in Vegas for a few shots and set it at 28.

I set it to actual focal length, except when using a teleconverter, in
which I'd use the focal length taking the TC into account (e.g. a 200mm
lens with a 2x TC would be set to 400mm).

Looking at your post and Marcus's - I have to say that I'm setting it
for a lens / TC combo based on intuition, not on documentation. But the
old saw about teleconverters is that a lens with a teleconverter
attached functions in every manner as a lens whose focal length and
speed are multiplied by the TC. But there are those who disagree with
that assertion WRT depth of field.

> --Polerizers. Do you add EV to make up for the lost light or shoot
> what the meter gives you.I used it a bit in Vegas and the +.3 shots
> look good, even though the histogram was still quite a wasys from the
> right.I used the Tav mode for 99% of shots. Asking as i rarely use
> filters and i wound up bracketing a lot.

Shoot what the meter gives you.

That reminds me of a test I have to run. Last winter I read something by
Ansel Adams where he said the 'filter factor' for a polarizer was the
same regardless of the setting of the polarizer. So - sky dark, sky
light, make the same adjustment. He was talking about using a hand held,
non-TTL filter. I've been meaning to see if that is how TTL filters
truly respond. Now that the sun is shining again I'll have to test that
one out.

- MCC
--
Mark Cassino Photography