----- Original Message -----
From: "Walter Hamler"
Subject: K10 Battery Grip

>I have ordered the BG for the K10 and have looked in the camera manual for
> info. There is only a pic and tells what it does. Nothing about operation.
> seem to recall some queries in the past about operation, etc. Are there
> any
> immediate pitfalls I need to be aware of, or will it be a "no brainer"
> when
> it arrives?

If you want the buttons on it to operate, the main switch on the camera
needs to be in the on position.
I've found that I want the on/off button on the grip off unless I am
actually shooting verticals, as gripping the camera horizontally can press
the grip's shutter button.
Otherwise, you can use it with or without batteries as you choose.
If you want to put a battery into it, you might want to check the set-up
menu regarding battery use. The camera can be set to use the grip battery
first, or the camera battery first, or can be set to use them more or less
concurrently (using the most charged battery first). If you set the camera
to use one or the other battery first, when the in use battery dies, the
camera will stop working, and you will get a dead battery indication.
Switching the camera off and then on will switch it over to the other
battery.
I have my camera set to use the grip battery first, and then the in camera
battery, and I like that the camera tells me when battery #1 has died.

William Robb