A scroll of mail from "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
on Sat, 20 Oct 2001 19:46:29 -0400
Read it? y
>It seems I've been running the NT box closer to its performance
>limits than I'd realized, and when I added a couple more
>tasks I discovered how abysmally slow NT4 can be when a
>process gets wedged.

If you don't mind warez[1], then Win2k is *far* superior to NT.  It
seems to have a smaller memory footprint as well and it's much more
stable.  About the only thing I've ever found that'll crash it is
flaky drivers on my GeForce 2. While the NT4 box at work falls over at
least once every two days, the Win2k box at home only falls over when
doing serious benchtesting or updating to Beta drivers.  When it was a
Pentium II/350, it had a six month uptime.  Now that's it's a Celeron
800, I keep fiddling with it, so it goes down (ooerr missus) whenever
I want to change things.

The Win98 box at home used to crash *at* *least* twice a day. Win98
was just a shocking product.  My cousin who works for Microsoft used
to look embarrassed when I mentioned it.  I think he used the phrase
'Ford Pinto' when describing it.

Win2k is a very good mix of Win9x and NT.  It's got the driver support
of Win9x and far more stability and the solid networking of NT.

Quite frankly, I'd say that someone in Microsoft played with Linux or
FreeBSD and said "Cripes, the competition makes us look like
incompetent idiots.  We'd better come up with something with gets us a
little street cred."

If I hadn't tried Win2k, I'd be a completely Linux/BSD shop right now,
it's really that good.

>Repairing the 95 box just became a lot more urgent -- either
>that or start rearranging hardware, because it's what the
>scanner is plugged into.

Newer Linuxes (2.4.xx) are supposed to handle scanners better.  I
haven't tried this myself as the Win2k box handles it just fine.  You
can get RedHat 7.1 with the 2.4 kernel from http://linuxcentral.com
for very little outlay, and FreeBSD 4.2 from the same place for even
less.

>Okay, after being interrupted by the largest moth I've ever
>seen indoors (why no, I have only seen Luna moths _outdoors_),

Get yourself a large lizard to eat the Moths.  Something Godzilla
sized should do the trick for even the largest moths.  Or so this
Japanese Documentary I just saw said.

>Gosh, my belongings have annoying timing.
>
>                                       -- Glenn

Wait till you have in-laws, they'll be even worse.

dave

[1] and quite frankly, taking money out of Bill Gates' wallet doesn't
disturb me very much.