On Apr 22, 2007, at 1:44 AM, Jan van Wijk wrote:

>> I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I don't partition my drives ...
>> my startup drive is a single 500Gbyte volume.
>
> Yes, I started out with 750, as delivered by Apple.
> Perhaps I am too paranoid, but with a background in system maintenance
> and data recovery I think the options for backup up and cloning a
> slightly smaller disk will be a lot easier. An exact clone will fit a
> run-of-the-mill external USB disk these days, which would be
> a problem with the 750Gb (unless you use compressed images).

There are plenty of 1Tbyte drives available, USB2/FW400/FW800
enclosures.  ;-)

I am currently working with 500G drives as it works well for the
volume of work that I do. I'll upgrade to 1T drives when it becomes
appropriate.

> That is probably what I will do too then, the lightroom library
> in my home tree, with the actual photos on the data disk ...

I would put the Lightroom libraries on the same partition as the
data. Lightroom will build its standard and 1:1 preview files in them
and that is pretty disk-space intensive.

Godfrey