> Looking at all three, they don't express to me that feeling of "dark
> with glistening wetness" that I think it what you're trying for. They
> just seem flat and dullish in appearance.
>
> I like the composition though, so I bunged about in a heavy handed
> way with curves adjustment tools [ ... ]
>
> Hope you don't mind my posting the result ...
No, by all means. If you like that kind if thing, just go ahead.
Especially if you can make it look better, and tell people that it's
mine ;-)
>  Let me know and I'll
> pull it.
>    http://homepage.mac.com/godders/samson2-g.jpg

Yeah. I think you understand what I was trying to do, and you're
probably on to something here. It does look a bit crude, though, and
there's perhaps something slightly "wrong" with the highlights. But I
suppose it's what you can expect when starting off with a scaled-down
jpg file.

Maybe I should try to do a more proper "curves" adjustment to the
high-res TIFFs from the scanner (one of which is available as
images/samson2.tif on the same web server, by the way)...

- Toralf