Good guess. I thought of that, but no that  wasn't it. It was a long drop,
but not a long enough drop for a bungee  jumping.

http://members.aol.com/eactivist/sideview.jpg

Sideview  above.

There is a river below the bridge, the American River I think.  Evidentially
people go there for some sunbathing, and getting their feet wet.  It's really
a bit too rapid for swimming. You can see all the rocks though, and  there
were big boulders too (not in the above photo).

What hit me later  was we've had a very dry year and the river is probably
way, way, down. Probably  in a rainy year a lot of those rocks are covered with
water. It may flow from  bank to bank with very little "beach." But as you can
tell (or maybe you can't),  even they were covered, the river wouldn't be
very deep. Maybe one area would be  deep enough for jumping from the bridge.
But
it's a long drop, and a shallow  river.

So I bet someone killed themselves there once jumping from the  bridge into
the water. Maybe more than one someone. I can just seeing young kids  with more
bravery than sense trying it. Ergo, the ordinance and the  sign.

In other words, my humor was probably totally  inappropriate.

Marnie aka Doe :-)

yes that is  funny!  I assume they mean bungee or base and not the other kind
  :)

Russ