"PAUL STENQUIST" writes:
>As far as I've been able to determine, they're all exactly the same.
>Some have bette plastic storage boxes. This seems to be the determining
element.

        Some CD readers won't read some CD technologies.  For example, I can make a
video CD that will play on my DVD player.  If I use a CD-R, the DVD player
won't even recogonize it as a disk, but if I use a CD-RW, it will see it and
is able to play the content.  I've also heard that the similar is true of
the older CD-ROM readers -- they'll read commercial CDs and CD-Rs, but not
CD-RWs.  Wouldn't suprise me if some audio CD players have some other sort
of restriction.
        The modern generation of computer CD-ROM drives seem to be able to read any
CD technology thrown at them though, so for data purposes, any should work.

        As far as the quality of the disks themselves, the packaging of the disks
is not really a tangible measure of quality :-) -- some disks truely are
defective (case in point, my stack of Maxell CD-Rs, which had some
unexcusable manufacturing defects burried deep in the stack).

hope that helps,
patbob ([EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED])