I currently have a Nec Multisync FE950 CRT based around the old
Diamondtron NF series of tube. It's a great monitor. Sharp as a tack
with beautiful color rendition, still as bright and sharp as the day I
got it 8 years ago. Realistic maximum res it can handle is 1360x1024 @
85hz. 1600x1200 is sharp enough but at 75Hz it starts to hurt after a
whole.

I scored a used Diamondtron 2070SB, manufactured late 2003 for about
$250. The seller misrepresented the monitor. While it's reasonably
sharp all the way up to 1920x1440 @ 85hz (a truly awesome resolution
to work in. I can't describe how great it is to have that much screen
space) it suffers from bad color rendition (posterizing?) especially
in skin tones, bad brightness (presumably because it's been abused)
and ghosting/banding. Basically unusable for photo editing (but great
for games)

Long story short, I love my old FE950 but I know for a fact these CRTs
don't last forever. The retards in the various companies are now
peddling LCDs, which I have always detested. I fear now that I have no
choice, as there are no high-end CRTs being made anymore. (I think
there is a Philips model still in production, but no one online has
ever posted a comment as to how good it is.)

I know about different types of LCD panels... TN, IPS, MVA, PVA, etc
but there is never any concrete data about color quality/blackness
level, etc. I have tried photo editing on my laptop LCD, and it is
horrific. Pics I delete because they look bad on the LCD look
beautiful on the CRT.

There HAS to be a decent LCD display out there for not too much money.
Or a good CRT still in production. What has the list used and what
should be avoided?

******CLIFF NOTES******

Want high-end CRT. Can't find any. Need an LCD with good color
rendition. Thoughts?