Well, that's not necessarily true.

Somewhere on this intarweb I found a PDF copy of the Navy SEAL
physical fitness manual and they say that you can lose a significant
'amount' (?) of cardio fitness within the span of two weeks if you
don't train. Stop training for a month and you are right back to
square 1.

Kind of depressing when you think about it