On 5/5/07, Bob W, discombobulated, unleashed:

>The traditional solution for the photographer on the go is the
>aluminium case. Its 3 main purposes are - something to carry your
>stuff in, something to protect your stuff, something to stand on.

Good point. I carry one in the Land Rover, although to be honest I
rarely use it as it's very bulky, but invaluable when needed. I don't
carry a small step ladder (or step stool) although i have thought of it.
Main concern is H and S - it presents certain danger if used in a
crowded environment (when I would personally use one, like a press scrum
on the sidewalk etc) and limits movement. I did use on during the
funeral of the Queen Mother in London to get a good shot of the carriage
coming down the Mall, and that was crowded but there are measures one
can take like placing it near a lamp-post etc.

For landscape work it would be a doddle because you're not likely to get
bowled over unless by rampant cows and such. One thing to watch would be
the feet sinking into the ground - they go slowly at first and can be an
interesting experience while looking down a viewfinder. Perhaps carry a
sheet of ply to put the ladder on and spread the weight out.

I have seen photos of St Ansel stood on top of his station wagon and I
shall echo that as I'm getting a roof rack to film from in those
exceptional circumstances when height is required and no handy building
can be used.

--

Cheers,
  Cotty