Hi,

Hopefully this query isnt irrelevant or this list, if there is
somewhere else I should be askingthis please feel free to direct me
there.

I´m new to the DSLR wold viathe Samsung GX-10, which is basically a
rebadged Pentax K10. I´ve used it mostly with the2 kit lenses it
came with and noticed a small oddity but live with it as it didnt
affect my overall use, however I have just purchased a Sigma
18-200mm DG F3.5-6.3 and now the problem is more serious as I am
effectively unable to use the lens. Before trying to work out how
and whom to contact (this was bought online) I thought Id ask those
more knowlegable in these areas.

Basically, the default setting on the camera is to have the option
Use Aperture Ring (Custom2 Menu, 3rd option on the screen) set to
Off. However I noticed that mine was set to On; which I might have
done when trying to use an old K mount lens a friend let me try on
my camera.

When I set it to the default value of Off, the auto focus fails to
work on the kit lenss and it can only be used in manual mode. I
didnt worry too much about this as I just left it set to On and
continued to work with it.

However when I received my new Sigma 18-200mm lens the other day it
would only work in manual mode and this proved to be the case
regardless of the setting on the Use Aperture Ring option. So I
decided to try and work out if it was the lenses or the camera.

My brother has a K10 and I checked his setting it was set to Off and
tried both my kit lens and my Sigma on it and they all worked
perfectly in the Off setting. Likewise his kit lenses behaved in the
¨odd¨ manner on my camera that mine do. Hence I decided it must be
the camera.

As  I understand it, with my rather limited knowledge; which is
basically some very quick learning from various web sites, the lens
and the camera exchange information via the contacts on the mount.

Could any/some of these contacts be ¨messed¨ in some way so as to be
conveying incorrect information and short of trying to get Samsung
to fix this is there anything I can do/try to see if I can correct
the problem (without invalidating any warranty). I´m figurin gI´m
going to have a tough time explaining this to a help desk so just
wanted to make sure by consulting those in the know.

Many thanks
Surinder
http://flickr.com/photos/solarider