On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:18:49 -0700, tom wrote:

>> I actually use Excel to create large numbers of near identical html
>> pages.  Once I have the formulas all sorted out I just fill in what
>> specifics are required and run a macro.  For your situation once you
>> have the standard formulas you could create pages for different
>> weddings quite easily.
>
>What I'd like to do, and my script is pretty close to doing, is read a
>directory of jpegs, create an index page of thumbnails, and an
>individual html page from a template for each one. Can excel do that?

It can if you are good at writing formulas in Excel.  My wife started
it by using Excel to create the code for her webpages.  I automated it
by adding a macro that took the code and created the html files with
the help of wordpad.  If your pearl script is doing what you want (or
nearly so) then stick to that.

There are lots of ways of doing things in html, I wrote a page once
that created it's own code for other pages using Java Script. It had
problems with Netscape 6 so I scrapped it in favour of simple pages
automatically created.

>I didn't think to see if a spreadsheet could solve my html problems...;)

My wife is an Excel guru, she uses it for most of her work.

>> The first time is what takes the time.  If you set up some automation
>> and get the scans right it should be quicker from now on.
>
>I think you're right, some automation will cut the time down a bit, but
>I'm still not satisfied with the scans.
>
>It seems to me you can develop your b+w and optimize for printing or
>scanning, but not both.
>
>Maybe I'll try a different lab....maybe I just need someone with a
>scanner that can handle more contrast.

I've seen lots of very bad B&W scans.  The scanners are optimised for
colour.  I normally just scan in 36 bit (Primefilm 1800u) and adjust
levels in Photoshop.  It comes out quite well.  Autolevels in Photoshop
sometimes get it right but not always so I just hand do all of my scans
- it's like working in a darkroom, after a while you get quite quick at
it.

 Leon

http://www.bluering.org.au
http://www.bluering.org.au/leon