On May 7, 2007, at 11:20 PM, Peter Lacus wrote:

> 16.5. Christchurch
> Arriving at 8am. After some 26 hours spent in planes we'll probably
> rest. We also need to buy some food, mobile phone pay-as-you-go
> package
> and most importantly familiarize ourself with the left side of the
> road
> driving (here in London I rode just my bike so far). David, are you
> around? ;-)

It's a work day but I work in the central city so we may be able to
meet up for a coffee or something.

> 17.5. Christchurch - Lake Tekapo (Mt Cook)
> 18.5. Lake Tekapo - Queenstown (Te Anau)
>
> alternatively:
> 17.5. Christchurch - Dunedin
> 18.5. Dunedin - Te Anau
>
> I'd like to see the Catlins Forest and the wildlife of the Otago
> peninsula but the other option is also tempting. We probably need to
> discuss this with David.

Dunedin to Te Anau would be quite a long day if you're going via the
Catlins (I don't even know if they've sealed the road yet).
Whichever option you choose you'll love it :)  If you do stay in
Tekapo I hope you get a clear night.  They have some of the clearest
air in the southern hemisphere and the night sky is incredible.

> 19.5. Milford Sound / Doubtful Sound - Queenstown
>
> unfortunately just one of them depending on the circumstances. But
> Bob's
> "postcard" picture from Doubtful Sound surely looks like from a fairy
> tale so I am slightly biased towards the latter.

If you do Doubtful Sound you can also take a tour through Manapouri
power station.  This way also involves quite a lot less travel.

Here's Milford on a good day, halfway down from the Homer Tunnel:
http://www.bluemoon.net.nz/photo/photodb/view.php?p=63

> 20.5. Queenstown - Franz Jozef
> 21.5. Franz Jozef - Punakaiki Rocks
> 22.5. Punakaiki Rocks - Kaikoura

Check out Hanmer on the way.

> 23.5. Kaikoura - Christchurch

> we prefer not to hurry, so eventually we may allow more time for
> some of
> these places, perhaps skip Kaikoura altogether and drive from
> Punakaiki
> to Christchurch via Arthur's Pass (provided it's any quicker).

Going via Arthurs Pass would probably cut out a couple of hours.
Arthurs Pass is pretty nice but so is the Kaikoura coast.

I'd suggest skipping the North Island ;)

- Dave