In a message dated 5/8/2007 12:51:41 A.M.  Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
the Green Man is a  traditional figure representing the force of Nature
and spring, I think.  Probably pre-Christian but it is carved into a
lot of churches  here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Man

There was one carved  in the parish church we went to when I was at
school, although I can't find a  picture of it, but this is the church
(and the house I lived in - Elizabethan  house on the right with 2
large gables at the ends and 4 smaller gables  between):
http://www.hobster.co.uk/Images/Balloon/church.jpg

It finds  its way into a lot of pub names. Here it was part of the
scaffolding in the  town where I was at school - this is where the
locals used to hang people, so  it was  said:

http://www.ashbourne-town.com/pubs/green/index.html

--
Bob

Very  interesting. Thanks.

Marnie aka  Doe

Warning: I am now  filtering my email, so you may be censored.