Hello Gonz,

This is a long held belief, and I'm sure some will differ.

When we see a disadvantaged person, any one not totally calloused will feel
a degree of empathy for that individual and their plight.  That's a natural
emotion and a good one.  I've seen so many photos displayed here of like
subject matter that receive much praise, when I see nothing about the photo
itself, that makes it exceptional.  It makes me believe that, some at least,
are not differentiating between their attachment to the subject matter and
the actual merits of the image.
The same can be said for photos of cats, dogs, children, and sunsets. It's
one of the things I constantly comat when reviewing my own photography,
trying to tell the difference between  a truly good image and one that I
simply have an attachment to.

I've also seen photos get a big positive reaction because a story is
presented along with the image, and it tends to tug on the heart strings, or
give meaning.  Well maybe that's part of being human or is an element of
photojournalism, and we're all human.  Nevertheless, it does to some degree,
de-emphasize the image itself.

I'm not telling others what to think, of course.  Sometime I think we may
tend, myself included, not to really look.

Tom C.