Tim -

Take a look at The Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements, by Richard Lynch.
  It's a pretty good Elements primer and includes a CD with additional
tools that he has developed.  It's available in print for Elements v3
and v4 from Amazon.

http://tinyurl.com/2gjwl2

The update for v5 is not quite ready yet and will be only available
electronically.  You can check all the versions out in depth here...

http://tinyurl.com/2b4er2

-p