We seem to have some people here who are pretty well informed about
cars.  Let me describe the mystery I am trying to solve. I have a
1991 Volvo 940 Turbo wagon that I really love.  Has always been a
very comfortable and civilized ride.

Oil is disappearing from the crankcase at the rate of about a quart a
month.  It isn't leaking out anywhere since there is no oil on the
carport where I park it.  It doesn't smoke or smell of burning oil
from the exhaust pipe when running, and it runs great.  I thought
maybe it was time for a ring job, but I had my mechanic run a
compression check and it's just fine.  He suggested maybe the PCV
valve was faulty, so I had him replace that, but it made no
difference.  I'm just completely stumped on where this oil is going,
and so are both of the mechanics who do work for me.  One suggested
putting in some Lucas oil stabilizer in place of a quart of oil, and
I tried that but it made no difference.  It's a nuisance to have to
put in a quart of oil a month.

Any suggestions?

Bob