35mm is my favorite focal length for general photography.  I like the perspective
better than a "Normal" lens. I also like the speed of an f2 version, as it allows me
to shoot in many of the spots "walking around" lands me in.

I currently have the "A" version of the 35mm f2, which I got at a very good price. I'm
VERY disappointed in it's performance, as evidenced by a series of shots I recently
took of some old buildings with very weathered wood.  The grain in the wood simply is
not sharp.  It was shot with XP-2 rated at 400 in daylight, so the lens was well
stopped down, probably in the f8-f16 range. I was using a Super Program, motordriven,
on a monopod. Likely shutter speeds in the 1/60-1/250 range.

Maybe mine is a bad sample, but I am thinking of spending the money to get the new AF
version, which has gotten good reviews here on the list from people whose opinions I
always respect.

My question for the list, is whether anyone has ever compared the "M/A' versions with
the AF one. I'm not interested in the f3.5 version, which is considered quite sharp,
and I do prefer autofocus because of my deteriorating-with-age eyesight. Is the new
lens appreciably superior to the older model?  $300 worth?

Thanks to all who take the time to reply.

Bill Sawyer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]