It works.  The film is split into two images to form the stereo pair, you
must shoot in a vertical format, use a 50 or 55mm lens set to f/5.6 or
f/8.0, have your subject between 4 and 12 feet, and have the camera
perfectly level, all for best results (strongest stereo effect).

I have used it.  Kodak processing machine got confused halfway through
mounting the roll and I had to mount most of the frames myself.  The effect
is very cool, and lots of fun.  It is fussy to do if you really want good
results from this set-up.  If you get serious about stereo photography
you'll probably end up with a dedicated camera designed for this purpose or
some contraption that allows for the use of two cameras or shooting with one
camera on a sliding device.

Of late, these sets have been a little pricy for what you get.  It is pretty
well made but you will not be happy to know that they often sell (complete
set) for nearly $300.  You can get them much cheaper if you are patient and
shop around.  It helps to have a second viewing device so you can share the
experience with a friend...

ppro