frank theriault wrote:
> On 5/16/07, Adam Maas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Torontonians just got an Ansel exhibition at the AGO (Ran Nov-Feb).
>>
>> Probably not as good as the Eastman House one though.
>>

> I went.
>
> Wasn't impressed.  The prints weren't huge (as I expected), and there
> really as much of his Yosemite-type stuff as I thought there'd be.
> Not only that, but the lighting was abysmal, so the prints looked
> really dark and lacked detail (obviously that was the gallery's
> fault).
>
> There was an Eisenstadt exhibit there at the same time - that was a
> much better one IMHO.
>
> cheers,
> frank

Interesting take. I liked the Ansel stuff (Although I agree about the
lighting), especially the fact that they were showing both early and
late work so you could see how much Ansel's change in printing affected
his work (I maintain he was a very good photographer who happened to be
a Master Printer rather than a Master Photographer who printed well, his
printing had more effect on the final product than his exposure IMHO)
and found the Eisenstadt stuff to be technically good but utterly
uninspired PJ stuff, interesting solely for the era and location
(Weimar/Nazi Germany) and the fact that he was one of the early PJ's,
but his shots were quite typically lifeless and static in composition.

-Adam