On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 04:49:10PM -0400, graywolf wrote:
> Actually that is a good way to pick a highly sophisticated DSLR too, buy
> a brand you feel comfortable with, that you like the look and feel of.
> Actually most cameras in a given price range perform very similarly.
>
> And if you have no interest in learning photography the P&S is usually
> more than adequate, you get jpegs that you can have printed at any one
> hour photo that willl completely satisfy you. When you want more
> control, then you may want a fancier camera.
>
> But since 90% of the DSLR buyers are trying to impress their friends
> rather than get better photos...

I'd say, rather, that it's the flip side of the oft-heard remark
"Wow! Great photographs! You must have a really good camera!".

If people think I take good photographs because I have a good
camera, then perhaps they think that buying one for themselves
will automatically let them produce equally good photographs.