Most early powerplants in Canada (and most of the power capacity
currently) were Hydroelectric. Hence 'Hydro' as a term for electricity,
or more properly for Electricity Producers/Distributors (it's also used
as slang to denote hydroponically-grown marijuana, another major
Canadian export).

Canada's power distribution rules resemble long-distance phone rules.
the local company provides the wires, but 3rd party companies must be
allowed access, and they can buy the power from the producers (since
most of Canada's power comes from either the big hydroelectric projects
or Nukes, most of the country's power distribution is seperate from
production. The exception being rural areas on the provincial Power
Company grid.

-Adam